Meltdown and Spectre
What to know about Meltdown and Spectre
On Tuesday, 3 January 2018, a vulnerability was announced affecting Intel and ARM chips. More information on Iowa State's plan as well as the vulnerabilities
What is Iowa State IT doing?
With the start of classes looming patches are being tested and carefully rolled out to enterprise systems (HPC, AccessPlus, Virtual servers, and virtual desktops). The patch may potentially impact performance by up to 30% and in testing, this has been experienced.
Information from Vendors and Current Status
|Microsoft Office 365||Patching|
|Box (CyBox)||Low Risk|
What should I be doing?
- Apply operating system updates as they become available after appropriate testing.
- Apply other software updates as they become available after appropriate testing.
- Apply firmware updates as they become available after appropriate testing.
- Encourage users to practice safe computing.
- Do not click on links from unknown senders.
- Do not install software that you did not initiate.
- Send questionable emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call Your Solution Center (515)294-4000 with any questions.